Second amendment to the United States Constitution: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
"Shall not be infringed." I am not sure about you but that reads sounds crystal clear to me. Emphatic as a matter of Fact. The Founders of this great Republic obviously understood freedom, and what would be necessary to defend ourselves in the face of tyranny.
It would appear that American's who uphold their 2nd Amendment Rights are in for yet another tedious 'is' discussion. Democrats are experiencing a serious cognitive dissonance eruption. Democrats are intent upon unraveling the 2nd Amendment. President Obama in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings and Senator Diane Feinstein both are engaged in and busy limiting your second Amendment rights.
Homeland Security has chimed in too! Homeland Security suggests you should defend yourself against a shooter who has intent to kill you with a pair of scissors. (The video is at the end of the article.)
Last week Obama claimed he shoots skeet all the time at Camp David (no photos appear to be available of this activity). You can be sure that the internet has been scoured to find photographic proof of Obama with a shot gun in hand firing at skeet.
"Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defence? Where is the difference between having our arms in our own possession and having them under the management of Congress?
If our defence be the real object of those arms, is whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety, to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry June 9, 1788
Recently released video of Skeet shooting at Camp David
Both the Senate led by Diane Feinstein and the White House are in a full court press to limit the types of guns sizes of magazines that law abiding Citizens can own. International Business Times has a very thorough and informative article on Diane Feinstein's bill that Democrats hope to pass.
Here is the list of Obama's Gun Control Executive orders: Which are slightly different from President George Washington's view of gun ownership. It is doubtful President Washington would have ever considered this list of Executive Orders.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background-check system.Obama announced and signed these 23 Fiats with a backdrop of four children. Claiming this effort to limit your rights was 'for the children'. Where were his crocodile tears for all the dead children from his kind of town, Chicago, which has some of the toughest gun regulations in the nation? the article from the 28th of December 2012 states: "As of Thursday night, homicides were up 17 percent over last year in Chicago and shootings had increased by 11 percent, according to police statistics. Earlier this fall, Chicago already exceeded the number of homicides that occurred last year, but this is the first time the city has had 500 or more murders since the 512 in 2008."
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background-check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background- check system.
4. Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to healthcare providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency-response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within Affordable Care Act exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental-health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself.
They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable …
the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington ~ First President of the United States
Both Wyoming and Arizona have passed laws against gun grabs by the federal Government. This link is the news on the Arizona law.
Several sheriffs have vowed not to enforce gun laws. The article lists Sheriffs across the nation who will not enforce infringement of law abiding citizen's 2nd Amendment Rights.
In full self disclosure I do not own a gun, for a while I had my brother's 22 Rifle and his shotgun and kept them until they could be passed to his sons after his death. My husband's son is in possession of his hunting rifles. I do, however know how to shoot, as this was one of the other life gifts my father shared with me.
I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
Richard Henry Lee ~ American Statesman, 1788
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that … it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; … "
letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. ME 16:45.
To suppose arms in the hands of citizens, to be used at individual discretion, except in private self-defense, or by partial orders of towns, countries or districts of a state, is to demolish every constitution, and lay the laws prostrate, so that liberty can be enjoyed by no man; it is a dissolution of the government. The fundamental law of the militia is, that it be created, directed and commanded by the laws, and ever for the support of the laws.
---John Adams, A Defence of the Constitutions of the United States 475 (1787-1788)